Camas Friends have been participating in Northwest Earth Institute classes for the last few years and it’s something we really are glad to offer as a church. We are starting up our next class “Voluntary Simplicity” on March 4th from 7-8:30pm. The class is free and will meet every Thursday at this time for 6-8 weeks (TBA in class). For more information or to sign up for the class contact the church office.
Here is information on the course we’ll be doing from the Northwest Earth Institute site:
Voluntary Simplicity is a five-session course for the workplace, community or faith center, or home. This course addresses the distractions of modern society that keep us from caring for ourselves, our relationships, and our environment.
Discussion Course Goals:
- To understand the meaning of voluntary simplicity.
- To explore the material and psychological distractions that prevent us from caring for the earth.
- To acknowledge the connection between our lifestyle choices and the condition of the earth.
- The Meaning of Simplicity: The concept of simplicity, as a religious practice or philosophy of life, has a long history. Both inner simplicity and outer simplicity are involved. What are some common misconceptions about a simple life?
- Living More with Less: Accumulating material possessions is part of the American Dream. For some, the dream has become a nightmare. When do material possessions add meaning to our lives and when do they detract?
- Making a Living: A growing number of people wish to resolve the conflict between the desire to make and spend money and the desire for a simple life. Why is that so difficult in our culture?
- Do You Have the Time?: In modern society, our minds are focused on the “busyness” of the day, our current problems, and our future challenges. Are there alternatives to the fast pace of our mainstream culture?
- Living Simply and Sustainably: There are countless practical benefits in moving toward simplicity and sustainability. What steps can be taken to move toward a life simple in means, rich in ends?
- *This course contains an optional sixth Celebration session where participants can explore follow up actions.
Download the flyer here.
Resource Video: The Story of Stuff.
Visit the Northwest Earth Institute’s Website.