For the past 3 years Camas Friends has been putting on a 3 day camp for young people called Peace Playhouse. Instead of offering the standard vacation Bible school the Camas Quakers put their heads together and created a camp that focuses on learning how to have peace with self, with others and with the earth. Through various activities such as gardening, art, singing, yoga, journaling and other hands on activities we work with young people to help them learn skills for living peaceful lives.
Peace Playhouse (Link to Page)
Put on by Camas Friends Church: A Quaker Meeting
July 13, 14 and 15 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Located at 1004 NE 4th Ave., Camas, WA
office [at] camasfriends [dot] org
Register your young person for the Playhouse here.
See more information below:
FAQ’s for Peace Playhouse 2010
What is the Peace Playhouse?
- A fantastic, free opportunity for kids to learn valuable skills in conflict resolution through various activities. Participants will learn about peace with self, others, and creation.
Who should attend the Peace Playhouse?
- Children in the Camas-Washougal area who are going into the 4th, 5th or 6th grades.
Does it cost anything?
- No, the Playhouse is free with lunch and snacks provided.
Who is putting on the Peace Playhouse?
- Camas Friends Church has partnered with members of the community to put on the Playhouse
Where will the Peace Playhouse be held?
- At the Camas Friends Church meeting house: 1004 NE 4th Ave., Camas
When will it be held?
- July 13, 14 and 15 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
What is the purpose of the Peace Playhouse?
- To partner with our community to serve the children of Camas and Washougal, teaching them to practice peace and to go back into their homes, schools and communities as “Peace Ambassadors”.
What are the goals of the Peace Playhouse?
- To teach peace through conflict resolution techniques and strategies for practical use at home, school and in community situations.
- To increase self-esteem through self-expression and interaction with others.
- To promote good citizenship, peaceful relationships and appropriate behavior at home, school and community settings.
Is there a theme?
- Each day has a theme: Day 1: Peace with Self; Day 2: Peace with Others; Day 3: Peace with Creation
Is this the first year of the Peace Playhouse?
- No, this is the fourth year that Camas Friends have put on the Peace Playhouse
What are some of the activities of the Peace Playhouse?
- Arts and crafts; murals and poster creation; music and movement; storytelling and role-playing; gardening; games; journaling
Is the Peace Playhouse a religious camp?
- No, the Peace Playhouse is not a religious camp. However, the Peace Playhouse activities are generated from Friends’ (Quakers) traditional commitment to active and creative, non-violent peacemaking and justice, and actively work toward reconciliation, forgiveness and healing in all spheres of human relationships.
How do I register?