The Camas Friends Church Book Discussion Group (which we often refer to as “Fresh Bread”) meets Wednesdays from 7:00pm to 8:15pm (in the pastor’s office).
On November 7 we will begin a three-month-long discussion of Matt’s book, The Way to Love: Reimagining Christian Spiritual Growth as the Hopeful Path of Virtue. Click HERE to order from Amazon. You can also purchase directly from Matt (at a discounted rate).
The Way to Love offers a hopeful vision of what it might look like to more deliberately cultivate and embody the love of God in our relationships and world.
Visit Matt’s website (CLICK HERE) for a more detailed description of the book.
Tentative Reading Schedule:
|Nov 7||Foreword and Introduction|
|Nov 14||Ch 1: Spiritual Formation: The Limitations of Popular Approaches|
|Nov 21||–no meeting–|
|Nov 28||Ch 2: Spiritual Growth: The Life of Hope|
|Dec 5||Ch 3: Love: The Goal of the Spiritual Life|
|Dec 12||Ch 4: You and Me: The Self That Grows|
|Dec 19||Ch 5: The Path: The What, Why, and How of Virtue|
|Dec 26||–no meeting–|
|Jan 2||Ch 6: Gratitude: The Gift of the Other|
|Jan 9||Ch 7: Self-Care: Ready to Participate|
|Jan 16||Ch 8: Justice: Taking Care of Others|
|Jan 23||Ch 9: Kindness: Extravagance|
|Jan 30||Ch 10: Hope: Making the Possible, Actual|
|Feb 6||Conclusion: The Road Ahead|
Please consider joining this open-to-all weekly gathering! This is a fun, formative, and connective time to engage books and one another on various spiritual topics.
Our most recent books include:
- Richard Rohr’s Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life
- Reza Aslan’s Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
- Lisa Sharon Harper’s The Very Good Gospel: How Everything Wrong Can Be Made Right
- Science Mike’s Finding God in the Waves: How I Lost My Faith and Found it Again Through Science
- Thomas Kelly’s A Testament of Devotion
- Marcus Borg’s The Heart of Christianity: Rediscovering a Life of Faith
- Julie Clawson’s Everyday Justice: The Global Impact of our Daily Choices
- Philip Gulley’s Living the Quaker Way: Discover the Hidden Happiness in the Simple Life
- Jim Wallis’s America’s Original Sin: Racism, White Privilege, and the Bridge to a New America.
Hope to see you there!